(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-7065460204340498", enable_page_level_ads: true }); From Behind the Bureau: Interview w/ A Friend -->

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interview w/ A Friend

So do you remember that interview that I posted the other day? Well guess what, I enjoyed doing that interview so much that I decided to do another one! You are welcome. For this one I chose to ask a close friend of mine who we shall call Rick from this point forward. Rick is a long-time fan of all types of music who is my age. Let us see what he had to say.



Me: So can I just start off by asking whether or not you still purchase CDs?

Rick: Sure do. I always have bought CDs and always will buy CDs. I remember back when I was really little and I had a Sony Walkman and my parents bought me cassette tapes. If they still sold cassettes regularly nowadays I would still buy them.

Me: May I just ask why you are still so energetic about CDs, because I have to say that I haven't even thought about buying a CD in years?

Rick: You must be one of those people that is all about online piracy and torrenting. I really dislike those things because I feel that they take away from the artists who create the music we listen to. I remember when I got my first CD back in '97, it was a copy of Third Eye Blind by Third Eye Blind. I thought it was so cool and I felt so honored to be playing it in my boombox. It was at that point in time where I decided that I loved music, simple as that. There's just something about CDs for me that just makes my music collection seem complete.

Me: Do you subscribe to the theory that CDs are predicated on greed and capitalism?

Rick: I can't even really say I know what you mean by that. Compact discs were a way to be more practical with recorded sound. Vinyls served the same purpose when they were invented.

Me: Do you not feel that online downloads, piracy or not, are also a more practical way to use and distribute sound?

Rick: Yeah it may be more readily available but what about the musicians? You download a song for free, you think they see any profit from that? I'm sure you would like to think that they do.

Me: So what do you think about the lackluster CD sales and price drop for purchasing CDs?

Rick: I can't say that I know anything about "lackluster" CD sales but I can say this: if people aren't buying CDs they should be, in order to show support for their favorite bands. I do my part. And in all honesty I have noticed a steady decline in the average CD price over the past few years. Now I don't know much about economics and I don't really feel that its a sign of anything. I do know that it can only be better for me the cheaper CDs are.

No comments:

Post a Comment